Metrolink has added Bike Cars to accommodate more bikes on select trains and you can now bring your surfboards onto Metrolink trains to go surfing at Southern California beaches.
Metrolink has added Bike Cars to accommodate more bikes on select trains. The lower levels of the new Bike Cars are equipped with multiple stalls that are designed to hold three bikes each. Bike Cars are identified by a yellow “Bike Car” decal on the side of the train.
Bikes are allowed on ALL Metrolink train cars and each train car is designed to hold three bikes. The special Bike Cars are designed to hold 9 bikes on the lower level.
- Bikes must be safely secured within the bike storage area
- Bikes must never block aisles or doors
- Bicyclists must follow the conductor’s instructions to relocate or board an alternative car due to overcrowding and/or if space is needed for a passenger in a wheelchair
- Only single-rider bikes are allowed
- Battery-powered bikes, scooters and wheelchairs are permitted
- Electric bikes are permitted
- Folding bikes are allowed on the train and must be stored in the bike storage area
- Gas-powered vehicles
- Mopeds, tandem and three-wheeled bikes
- Segways (except when used as a mobility device for a passenger with a disability)
- Riding bikes onboard the train or on the station platform
Violating the bike rules may result in removal from the train.
Bike storage at stations
Most Metrolink stations offer bike racks or bike lockers for passengers. Please check out the Stations pages to verify if bike amenities are available.
You can now bring your surfboards onto Metrolink trains to go surfing at Southern California beaches. All designated Bike/Board cars have capacity to hold up to five surfboards in the surf netting carriers. It's a breeze to take your surfboards onto Orange County and Inland Empire-Orange County line trains down to San Clemente Pier and Oceanside North Strand beaches.
Bike/Board Car Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How many surfboards can we put in the surfboard storage?
A: Five, but at the conductor’s discretion.
Q: How many storage nets are there per train?
A: One per train.
Q: What happened to the Bike Cars?
A: We have converted all Bike Cars into Bike/Board Cars to accommodate surfers. Bike/Board Cars can still hold six bikes.
Q: What lines will these Bike/Board Cars be on?
A: They will be on every train, so all lines.
Q: Do I need a surfboard reservation?
A: No, the surfboard carriers will be first come, first served.